My work

Monday, June 10, 2013

Artful Gathering Mixed Media Online Retreat

I apologize for being a little lax in blogging lately but I have a good excuse. On May 22, I went to the hospital for surgery and had a hiatal hernia repaired. I never knew what a hiatal hernia was until I found out I had one.

It seems that your stomach goes up through your diaphragm at the hole where your esophagus goes down and you end up with part of your stomach in your chest cavity where it shouldn't be.

They do the surgery laparoscopically  so I have five holes in my stomach area that were covered with super glue to heal. I have been careful not to sneeze. I am doing much better now but I have been very weak and I nap a lot. LOL

That leads me to the subject that I really want to talk about. I needed to find something to occupy my time while I was recuperating. I eventually discovered an online mixed media art retreat called Artful Gathering. The workshop I am taking is called "Sweet Tweets" with Riki Schumacher.

It involves making jewelry components with wire and silver bearing solder and I am having a ball with it.

Kirk helped me set up a soldering station outside by his new green house so I wouldn't have to worry about smoke and fumes. It's a cozy little spot with the green house blocking the breeze.

My soldering set up before I started



These findings have been soldered and scrubbed
After they have been brushed with patina


My finished findings after trimming and polishing

They will be part of a necklace that I am building with the help of videos by Riki.

I will post photos of my finished necklace next time.






I have been very slow about posting my photos for "Focus on Life" my online photo challenge.

For Week 19, Sally Russick of The Studio Sublime, posted the prompt: Hope.

At first I couldn't think of a photo that I had taken which would evoke that feeling but then I remembered.

Often when we have out of town company, we take them to Dollar Days at the races. Now I don't gamble on the horses, I just love to watch these magnificent animals.

That doesn't stop us from picking our favorites and hope they win. In fact it is so much fun to cheer your horse on to the finish line.


The prompt posted for Week 21 was the word: Reminisce.


I took this photo about twenty-one years ago this month.

It is my sweet daughter Kim and her first child, Rakaiah Christine McClelland; my first grandchild.

Kya turned twenty-one at the end of last week.

I just can't believe it. The years just fly by. Enjoy them while you can.





I would like to end this post by introducing you to our beloved cat Reggie. He was a rescue and lived with us for nearly seventeen years before he went to heaven.

Reggie is the reason I call my business is called: Cat's Meow Co. and he will never be replaced. He was top dog in our family.

RIP sweet Reggie
Have a wonderful week!
Julie Panusis

6 comments:

  1. Goodness, I hope you are feeling better! I am sure some bead therapy is just what the doctor ordered! ;) I love what you are working on; the sweet tweets pendants are gorgeous. I look forward to seeing the finished pieces.

    I too have been very lax about blogging once I hit my second trimester, almost in my third now! I also had to pull myself from Sally's 52 Photos challenge because I am going at half speed these days and have to focus on the necessary aspects of business and life (and getting ready for baby)! Her challenge is brilliant and I hope she continues it next year. I am still enjoying seeing the participant's photos each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, I am so excited about your baby. I do know that it makes you lose almost all of your energy so I understand. You need your rest and that's not easy with a job and family (husband and dog). Good luck to you.

    I am really enjoying this online retreat. Riki Schumacher is a great gal. I will be in a class with her in September at Art-is Petaluma. I can't wait to meet her.
    I am going to work on the necklace today. Fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A post about art, new life, and a kitty gone but not forgotten~ First, I love your pristine soldering station! And your pieces before and after patina~
    Your grandbaby!! Darling! Need more photos!
    Your beloved kitty. I really believe that we reunite with our beloved pets when we die. I know this isn't great theology or whatever. I just believe it. They love us and love doesn't really die, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, you are always so sweet to me. I too believe that our pets are sent to us and we will see them again in heaven. I can't see a loving God not having animals there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just catching up here with all my blogs.. smile.. alot of orders and repairs on the house keeping me busy..

    Hope you are feeling better now after your surgery.. I know how lousy you can feel after surgery..

    I am so sorry about your cat.. loosing a beloved pet is really hard.. Just wondering.. do you have other pets also? Or was Reggie your only one (not that it matters, cos every pet is special..)..

    I also named my store after my love for cats.. The Cat's Meow Crochet.. even my blog is cat connected.. Cat Talk.. lol..

    Michelle
    http://cattalkbycatsmeow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your concern. I really appreciate it.
    I used to have lots of cats but Reggie was the last one. We have three dogs now, all are rescued from shelters and one was a Katrina survivor. Reggie was the king of the dogs and I hate to bring another cat into the mix. Two of my dogs are very old so maybe when they are gone.
    Cat's are wonderful.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete